Keeping clean during the holidays can seem like a never-ending task. Wrapping supplies, luggage or personal items from guests, extra food for holiday meals, and people tracking in dirt and grime from the remains of wintry weather outside can all leave you feeling like you can never catch up. While keeping your home pristine over the holidays may not be a realistic goal, we have a spotless-seven tips that you can use to keep your home manageable and still be able to enjoy your holidays.
- Make your bed in the morning. Would you believe us if we told you that making your bed is not only a good first step to a thorough housecleaning, but also a way to help boost your mood? Making your bed helps you feel productive, but it also helps keep your bedroom a tidy retreat, regardless of what may be going on in the rest of your house.
- Clean as you go. Whether in the kitchen, as your wrapping, or even as you are unwrapping gifts on Christmas morning, cleaning as you go not only makes end-of-project cleanup easier, but can improve your mood while you handle your project.
- Use your dishwasher. Dishwashers are far more water efficient than hand-washing dishes, so even if you do not have a full load, load the dishwasher and run it. Keeping dishes from piling up in the sink not only keeps you in clean dishes, but can also help you keep your kitchen tidier.
- Take off your shoes. If you live somewhere where wet winter weather means you will be tracking in mud or other debris on your shoes, place a shoe tray near your doors and pull off your shoes as soon as you step inside. If you do not like to be barefoot, keep slippers there, as well.
- Take out the trash (and the recycling). Regularly take trash and recycling outside. We suggest setting a schedule for emptying wastebaskets- the day before trash pickup is a convenient choice.
- Clean the bathroom mirrors. This high-spot area can make even a clean-house look dingy. If you have only a few minutes to get your home guest-ready, spend two of them cleaning the spots off of your bathroom mirror.
- Clean out the fridge before the holidays. You are going to have holiday leftovers, so make sure you have fridge space for them by cleaning up beforehand.
Feeling overwhelmed? Get some help. Whether that means enlisting other family members to do their share or hiring the professionals at Carmen’s Cleaning, getting help with the cleaning can make it much less overwhelming.